Tuesday, August 20, 2013

DIY Sew an Elmo Sun Hat



This might not be the most thorough tutorial, but I wanted to post it just to give readers an idea of what I did.  To make a normal reversible sun hat, I found a tutorial on another blog.  (Sorry, I searched for awhile and I cannot remember which one it was!)  I picked Sesame Street fabric for one side and plain red fabric for the other side so I could add the Elmo face.  

Before I completely sewed the entire hat together, I started working on the Elmo face so I could make sure it fit on the hat.  I printed out a picture of his face that was resized to fit the hat.

I used some little scraps of fabric for the eyes, nose and mouth and two black buttons for the eyes.

Using my printout as a guide, I cut out the face shapes and ironed some fusible interfacing on the back to make them a little more stiff.  I sewed the buttons onto the eyes by hand and then used the machine to do the rest.

I carefully pinned the face pieces onto the hat and then used a zig-zag stitch to embroider them onto the hat.  Unfortunately, my sewing machine had a mind of its own that day, so the stitches don't look as nice as I wanted them to.
Here he is showing off the Elmo face on one side...
And the Sesame Street print on the other...



I love how it turned out and it's great to have two different hats in one!


13 comments :

  1. The hat is adorable. What a great idea. And your little man is just as cute in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, how cute is he! especially in that hat, and great idea on making it reversible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how darling!! Thanks for linking up to Tell me Tuesday, Featuring this next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming in from Someday crafts Wed party. I love this & so will my LO! He is big for his age and will soon grow out of age-appropriate hats. I'll keep my fingers crossed at my sewing maching, and hope my hat comes out as good as your does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elmo hat is sooo cute. My son's girlfriend's nephew loves Elmo! I'm going to send her link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww this is adorable! My son loves Elmo! I would lOVE to have you share this at my link party! http://www.madetobeamomma.com/2013/08/homemade-by-you-64.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe!! Elmo is SO fun!! This is super cute! Thanks for sharing & for linking up to Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! I am featuring you this week on Tell Me Tuesday! Thanks for linking up. Have a great week:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! My son immediately said "Elmo"! I think we will need to pin this one. Thanks for sharing!

    I’d love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with free patterns and templates to share are invited to link up! Starts on the 1st of each month.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails