Tuesday, June 11, 2013

How to Spray Paint Shoes

This is one of my favorite DIY secrets.

When I have a pair of shoes that I absolutely love, I usually regret not buying them in multiple colors.  However, sometimes they don't sell them in the color I want, so I have to do a little creative work.  I actually did this project back in 2007 here, and I saved everything so I could use the supplies again.  This is the pair of Old Navy sandals that I used.  I love the white ones I have, so I wanted a black pair too.  When I found out they didn't sell them in black, I decided to paint them myself.

To find out how to do this correctly, I went to a local shoe repair store and the owner explained the best way to do it and gave me the supplies to use.  If you'd like to try this, I'd suggest buying similar supplies made for shoes so that you know the product will work well.  First, I started with the color preparer and some rubber gloves.  I poured a little on an old rag and wiped down the sandals straps.  This is used to strip down any dirt, grease, or finish from the straps.

I found a roll of painter's tape that I used to cover up all the areas that I didn't want painted.  This takes a little time, but it's worth it to get the paint where you want it.

I stuffed newspaper inside the sandals just as an extra precaution to make sure no paint got on the inside of the straps.

I used Meltonian color spray from the shoe repair shop to spray the shoes.  It took about 3 coats to make sure I got all the little crevices and straps completely covered.

When I ripped off all the painter's tape, I had my perfect pair of black sandals!

I love them and they came out perfectly!  If you're concerned about the color staying, I'll vouch for the shoe spray I used because the ones I did back in 2007 still look perfect like they did when I first painted them.

16 comments :

  1. Those came out great! I never thought to paint my shoes. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how neat! what a great idea to seek out a professional's opinion on paint, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! And I like how you did it the "right" way. Not just spray paint so you know it will last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Idea !
    It is great option to paint the old shoes by using different colors of die and provide them a new look . Thanks for sharing

    Thanks
    Barker Marine

    Men Shoes UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am shocked at how well these came out! I would have never thought to spray paint sandals but this has me convinced it will work. Great tutorial and idea Lisa!

    We would love for you to link this up with us at Living Well Spending Less! You can link up any of your thrifty projects each Thursday - we would love to have you join us! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I don't think I'd have the patience to do this... but go you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea!!! Love it! Thank you so much for linking up at Simply Create Link Party. Pinning your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no you didn't! I would have never thought to spray paint shoes! Genius! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh!!! That is brilliant!!! You would NEVER know they were painted. Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did this with an old pair of shoes for my daughter's prom so she could get the color she wanted-they held up great and she's already thinking about doing them again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. THIS IS SO AWESOME!!! I never even knew this was possible.

    Smiles,
    Rachael
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I've never thought of doing that! I love that your pair from 2007 is still looking fresh. I love the black, what a great pop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, I never would have thought to paint shoes. I will need to keep this in mind for the next time I can't find the style I want in the color I want - thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Detailed and descriptive articles written in this blog is really very helpful for me as well as for other who seeking such kind of knowledge. It is definitely going to become useful in coming future. สเปรย์นาโน

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails