Sunday, April 24, 2011

National Infertility Awareness Week

I don't usually get too serious on here, but this is a topic that is now very important to me. Some of you have followed my experiences of infertility, miscarriage, and now pregnancy. I'm just trying to get the word out so I'm participating in the Infertility Myth Blog Challenge.
MYTH: Just relax and you'll get pregnant.

BUSTED!: Really? That's all it takes? Thanks for the advice! Argghh, this one is the worst! It's not hard to figure out that most women with a fertility issue have some kind of medical problem...whether it's been diagnosed or not. In my case, it was that I wasn't having a period or ovulating. We never figured out the cause of this, but that's an obvious reason why I wouldn't be able to conceive. Infertility might cause a little stress in your life, but it sure isn't the reason you're not able to get pregnant.

MYTH:
You're too skinny.

BUSTED!: I'm not a doctor, but I'm going to try to bust this one...or at least give my take on it since I got this one a lot. Don't health care providers tell all adults that they need to get an hour of exercise 5 times a week or something similar? So if I was doing that regularly, doesn't that make me healthier? I was born with a thin body and I worked hard to keep up my flat abs and tiny muscles in my arms. I also regularly ate 3 meals a day plus 2-3 snacks, so it's not like I'm starving myself. Just because I might look skinny doesn't mean I'm unhealthy. Making a judgement like this is the same thing as assuming I have an eating disorder because I'm thin. While the weight thing might be the case for a small percentage of women, don't assume I'm part of that.
After going struggling with this process for over a year, I have learned a lot about myself and others. The stress, sadness, and pressure is something no one will understand except for another woman who experienced the same thing. People around you will tell you things that are rude, inconsiderate, and false as I mentioned above. Though it might be hard, you can't let it bother you. You need to be proactive for yourself and get treatment with a doctor you love. (And if you're in the Chicago area, I can recommend one that I love.) If you feel alone in this process, get some help from others who have been through the same thing at a support group, or try individual therapy. My support group was one of the things that really helped me during my worst times.

I never, ever thought I was going to be one of those girls that needed fertility treatment, never thought I would have a miscarriage, and then never thought it would take THAT long to get pregnant. But it happens to a lot more females than you would think. Once you get people talking, it's a lot more common than I ever thought.
This topic should NOT be taboo and needs to be more publicized. Get the word out there and bust those myths!

Go here to learn more about infertility and here to read more about National Infertility Awareness Week.

If you'd like to participate, submit up your blog post here.

P.S. If anyone wants to vent privately or ask questions, I'd be happy to chat. Send me an email at kermiefrg@aol.com

6 comments :

  1. It's great that you are so open about your infertility issues. There are so many people who are not and it made me feel like I was in the wrong for being so open with my struggles. Congrats on your pregnancy. I have 3 girls and twin boys now. Boys are such fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with mean-spirited comments...really sucks...

    I don't have personal experience, but I know so many girls that have suffered through infertility and miscarriages...it is FAR more common than it seems...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your comment on Helpful Daddy -http://helpfuldaddy.blogspot.com :-) I never realized there was a National Infertility Awareness Week and am glad to know about it now! Thanks for sharing! Congrats on being pregnant!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your openness. Too often we suffer in silence. We have been trying to conceive for 7 years. I've had 10 miscarriages and all IVF attempts have failed. It has been a long, long, long lonely road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually had a huge fear that I would be infertile. I know sooo many friends and family members that have had to deal with these same issues. It breaks my heart and I have always felt guilty for not having any trouble when those around me major infertility issues to deal with. Thanks for dispelling these myths and for being so forthcoming with your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fertility is such an interesting, incredibly personal thing. I was able to get pregnant with my oldest daughter immediately. I figured I must be fertile myrtle, ummmm not so much. I could never get pregnant again. I was diagnosed with cancer and realized my body was not going to produce another baby. We have since adopted our second daughter and are over the moon happy. It's incredible the way it all works out. Great post. Good luck with everything. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails