Saturday, November 27, 2010

Glittery Stuffed Dreidel Tutorial


Hanukkah is coming soon! It's early this year which means I had to get started in the fall with new ideas for decorating. I made this dreidel above last year, but I wanted to simplify it a little so it would be easier to explain to you and to sell at a craft fair.

Here's the simplified version below: I started out by enlarging these templates. I like the look of the giant dreidel!
I cut out the templates and traced the dreidel shape onto fabric. To make it easy, combine the triangle and square into one giant shape. You'll need 4 pieces to make one dreidel. You'll also need one more square for the top.
Using a 1/4 inch seam allowance I attached the top to one of the side pieces.

Then I attached the side pieces to one another.Then the 2 pairs were attached to form the dreidel.

Fold the top down and pin along the top edges. Sew only 3 sides closed and leave one side open to stuff the dreidel later.
I cut out the Hebrew letters and traced them onto felt.
I also cut a small rectangle about 1 inch wide to use for the handle. The piece is folded and pinned.
Using a blanket stitch and some thread, I stitched along the edges of the letters and handle. See below for the handle image.
I glued the letters to the sides of the dreidel using some tacky glue and a q-tip.
Lightly press on the letters to make them stick. Be sure to let the glue dry completely before going to the next step.
Turn the dreidel right side out and stuff.
Pin and hand sew that last edge of the top closed.
I also added a little stuffing to the handle to make it puffy.
Pin the handle to the top of the dreidel and add a few stitches on each corner to attach it.
Here's the finished dreidel!
I loved using this glittery fabric and silver glitter felt to make it really sparkle!
As you saw in the first photo, I pinned each one to a teddy bear so it would stand up. You can also make it more of a patchwork dreidel with different layers of fabric like I did last year.
It's the perfect gift for the holiday!

Linking up to these parties

8 comments :

  1. super cute, especially with the bear. but waaay more work than i am willing to do, lol.

    i didn't think i was gonna be decorated in time for this year, but i am. yay! it feels good. i'll have pics up next week probably.

    ugh, is tomorrow really monday?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lovely Lisa,

    This is great. It's the same over here, there' next to nothing for Hannukah....but I see you're putting that right...with style!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!!! I love the blanket stitching. It's adds so much charm. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable ~ love the new version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute and I love the bear! Thanks for your visit and leaving such a sweet comment. I've enjoyed my visit and have become a follower.

    Enjoy your evening,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I've thought of another Hannukah idea for you....

    Could you use hands (children's hands) to create the special candle that's used? (Is it called the Minora?).

    I'm not sure it matches the loveliness of your project but I've been trying to think of other Hannuhak ideas for you...

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great tutorial, we are going to feature your project on this week's edition of Sister Sister Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails