Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Yummy Corn Dogs

We've been having theme dinners on Wednesday. Why? I don't know, but Hubby started making all kinds of fun food every Wednesday while I'm at kickboxing class. Last week was carnival food night so he made these awesome corn dogs and I wanted to share them with you.

Ingredients:
• 2 cups vegetable oil
• 1 cup yellow cornmeal
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 (8.5-ounce) can cream-style corn
• 1/3 cup chopped onion
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 4 tablespoons cornstarch, for dredging
• 8 hot dogs (we used turkey dogs)
• chopsticks (if you want corn dogs on a stick)

Pour oil into a large pot and heat.

In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cayenne pepper. In a separate bowl, combine the corn, onion, and milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir only enough times to bring the batter together. There should be lumps in the mixture. Set batter aside and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Scatter the cornstarch into a dry pie pan. Roll each hot dog in the cornstarch and tap to remove excess.

Transfer enough batter to almost fill a large drinking glass. Refill the glass as needed. Place each hot dog on chopsticks, and quickly dip in and out of the batter. Immediately and carefully place each hot dog into the oil, and cook until coating is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. With tongs, remove to cooling rack, and allow to drain for 3 to 5 minutes.


YUM! Not healthy, but very fun! : )

See where I'm partying it up! Go here!

15 comments :

  1. They DO look like fun! I haven't had a corn dog in ages, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are yiou kidding me? LOVE corn dogs! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I tried making them one day and FAILED, lol!!

    I'd love for you to stop by What's Cooking Wednesday to share one of your recipes! Hope to see you there :)

    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/search/label/What%27s%20Cooking%20Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun is this! We love corn dogs - but not the price! I love the idea of "Theme-Meal-Wednesday"

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait...you make your own corn dogs?!!! i was well into adulthood before i had my first one..they are really good...but i never thought to actually make them at home. i know my husband is going to go nuts for these---usually he has to wait until we go to disneyland to get such a treat. thank you for sharing this with the tuesday night supper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I never make corn dogs because my husband doesn't care for them. Bummer! But he loves regular hot dogs and chili dogs! I may just have to make one for myself one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my kids love corn dogs...I have never tried making them from scratch!

    Thanks for stopping by What's Cooking Wednesday! Hope you link up with us again next week!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I are such corn dog junkies! We only like the homemade hand dipped ones at fairs and other events. I am FOR SURE going to try this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good! I found you from y'day What's Cooking Wednesday. I would love for you to share this recipe or another at my Tip Day Thursday Carnival over at Around My Family Table. Thanks. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! Fair food is awesome! It's the ONLY reason I go to the fair...ever. I have never made them myself though. Might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These would really hit the spot right now! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore Corn Dogs! In fact, I craved them when I was expecting my first child. She loves corn dogs, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool are these! My kids will love making them at home. Come on over to Beyer Beware next week and link up a favorite recipe to Hunk of Meat Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up with last week's Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table. Please feel free to link up again.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails