Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I think I'm obsessed...with spray paint

Filling up the bookcase in our family room is a lot more difficult than I thought.


I had boxes of knickknacks and frames sitting in the basement just screaming for a chance to come out. But once I started arranging things, I decided I wanted to stick with a color scheme to keep it from getting too busy.

I started collecting a few things that I thought could be painted to match and the spray painting began.

The more I sprayed, the more colors I wanted to buy.

The more I sprayed, the more I wanted to go out and find more stuff to spray.

And now at every store we go in to, I am constantly looking for cheap things to spray paint and transform.


Here's my spray-painting corner of the garage. Not very pretty, but it works.


And here's my first few transformations:

This fleur de lis bookend was 70 cents from TJmaxx. It looked like some of the paint has been scratched off, but I really like it, so I thought I'd try to fit it.

I did a very light spray with black paint and then used my nail to scratch off the edges and match the rest of the piece.
Super easy and now displayed on the bookcase!

This next piece was a ceramic cat I had from a sample sale a few years ago. I had a black cat (Princess) growing up, so I wanted to make this cat black to remind me of her.
After 4 coats of paint, she's done! She's going to look great holding some books up.
This bookend was $1 from TJMaxx, but the paint was chipping and one edge was broken.
I liked the weathered look, so I first spray painted with a dark red. Then I used a sponge sander to scratch off the top coat and let the black show through.
Once I put it up on the bookcase, it still looked a little dark, so I repeated the process with a fire engine red paint. This was the look I was going for.Many more spray painting projects already in the works!


Linking up to...
House of Hepworths
Just a Girl: Show & Share Day
Posh Pieces
Look at Me Party

6 comments :

  1. Love it - those all turned out great! I've become obsessed with spray paint, too, but haven't found anything lately that calls to me to be transformed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, Thanks for stopping by ~Love the spray paint projects!Several people have asked for the Kugel recipe(it was sooo good) so I will be posting it on tommorrows blog entry! Have a great day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A girl after my own heart! I'm pretty obsessed with spray paint as well! They all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up! I am loving all your stuff you painted!! Isn't spray paint the best? I think it's my new BFF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! This post had me LOLing {I know, that makes no sense at all, but it's my term}. When you said you wanted to find more to paint, that's the story of my life. Always looking for more to transform!

    Hope you had a fabulous weekend. Thanks for stopping by so I could find you!

    ~Misti

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of these projects. You have found some REALLY good finds. Spray paint looks great too! Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Please leave me a note!

Related Posts with Thumbnails